The ruling of wanton endangerment doesn’t hold accountable the officers that fired the six shots that took her life, rather, that ruling targets the officer that recklessly shot through neighboring units in the still of the night. Justice for Breonna Taylor has not been served.
In response to yesterday’s grand jury ruling on Breonna Taylor’s murder, our founder, Angelica Cortez composed the following below.
We fight and elevate our service in the name of Liberation.
We experience need, struggle, and despair.
We fight for our position in this society.
We’ll continue to fight for the abolishment of qualified immunity to hold police officers accountable.
We’ll continue to push for the elimination of chokeholds and carotid holds.
We’ll call on a federal mandate to create a national database that requires reporting of excessive use of force and abuse of power.
We’ll continue to demand justice for Breonna Taylor and all of our brothers and sisters lost to state-sanctioned violence.
Information shared from the Movement for Black Lives:
Please join us and support local organizing — DONATE to these organizations and UPLIFT the six local demands.
The six local demands are crystal clear:
- Immediately fire and revoke the pensions of the officers that murdered Breonna.
- Divest from LMPD and invest in community building.
- The immediate resignation (or impeachment) of Mayor Greg Fischer.
- Metro Council ends use of force by Louisville Metro Police Department.
- Police shootings are gun violence.
- Establish a local, civilian community police accountability council that is independent from the Mayor’s Office and LMPD with investigation and discipline power #CPAC.
- The creation of policy to ensure transparent investigation processes.