We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization driven by the hearts of students, adults and families based out of San Jose.
Since 2015, we have provided culturally responsive programs and services to increase the civic participation and build the grassroots leadership of Filipinas/xs/os. We advance the values of social justice, being stewardship, fair access and service to the common good. From our signature Annual Fly Pinays, to our summer Awareness in Action Program (AAP), and formation of the statewide Filipinx Igniting Engagement for Reimagining Collective Empowerment (FIERCE) Coalition to build a statewide legislative advocacy agenda, we seek to increase the conscious awareness and activities of Filipinas/xs/os in public leadership across communities. Every year, we work with hundreds of students and families through our educational initiatives, grassroots campaigns and skills development workshops.
Through the powers of education and knowledge generation, LEAD Filipino seeks to advance the involvement and increase the representation of FilAms in civic participation, grassroots leadership and community action.
What We Do:
- Civic Engagement: We democratize civic spaces so that our community can see themselves serving in public and/or appointed office. Through hosting regular workshops on Board Service and Getting Appointed to Commissions and our partnership with the Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters, we engage our members in civics by offering practical and local pathways to service.
- Culturally Responsive Education: We recognize that at a population of ~1.5 million, the Filipina/x/o community’s collective impact to enact positivity and influence is great. We work to curate, cultivate, and create empowerment opportunities for all of our members. We believe that everyone should have a basis of understanding of their community’s shared identity, history, and contributions to the American tapestry. Evidence supports that a sense of one’s ethnic and racial history deepens their self-confidence, self-empowerment, and furthermore connection to leadership in our celebration of diversity and multiculturalism. Due to these guiding values, Cultural Education/Filipino Studies is one of LEAD Filipino’s major program areas. These services include our Annual Fly Pinays Leadership Summit and Spring Training.
- Community Health Initiatives: We provide regular community health presentations, workshops and seminars on relevant issues to the Filipina/x/o community, including sessions on Accessing Public Systems of Care, Mental and Behavioral Health and Intimate Partner Violence (IPV).
- Grassroots Campaigns: We build and manage local and grassroots grassroots campaigns on issues of social wellbeing, civil rights, education and public safety. Involving our members in the coalition building, messaging and interaction with the public, we aim to deepen the capacity and confidence of our students and families to drive our mission forward.
- Public Activation: We organize together with partners to bring local Filipino cultural events and awareness to San Jose. Every October, during Filipino American History Month (FAHM), we help produce a series of San Jose events that promote our Filipino culture, history and traditions to the general public.
We steward, raise, and promote our work through the guiding values of Social Justice. These values inform and shape our ethos, hearts, and minds, which thereby influences our programs, services, and the initiatives we participate in:
- Human Dignity