We’re pleased to announce our co-hosting with UC Davis’s Carlos Bulosan Center for Filipino Studies in a Filipino Community Policy Symposium!
Filipino Community Policy Symposium
The Carlos Bulosan Center for Filipino Studies and LEAD Filipino are co-leading an inaugural Filipino Policy Symposium on Saturday, September 29 from 9:00am-6:00pm at UC Davis in Davis, CA. At an estimated population of ~1.5 million, the Filipino/a American community stands as the largest Asian group in California, and because of this, we are working to raise our community’s voice on statewide legislative and policy issues.
Rooting our Symposium in a shared understanding of civic engagement and participation, we will convene Filipino/a civic groups, workers’ centers, immigrant rights advocacy organizations, women’s groups, collegiate organizations, and small businesses from across the Bay Area to discuss policy issues of importance to our community.
From California’s General Election on Nov. 6, to the 2020 Presidential Race and Census, the movement to call for our collective voice, involvement, and progressive agenda has begun.
The Symposium will feature group brainstorms, discussions, and presentations on building a 2019 Filipino Policy Platform to push forward in Sacramento with legislators and policymakers in April/May 2019.
Such policy breakout sessions to be included:
* Immigrant Rights
* Workers’ Rights
* Gender Justice, Sexual Violence and Misconduct
* LGBTQIA Inclusion
* Cultural Competency and Language Access
* Ethnic Studies, K-12 Education
* Housing, Gentrification and Displacement
* Filipino/a Owned Small Businesses
* Health and Human Services
The Filipino Policy Symposium has four key goals/objectives:
- Convene Filipino and Filipina CBOs, nonprofits, civic organizations, and small businesses to discuss key policy issues, needs, and concerns.
- Develop a progressive CA state public policy agenda around major issues impacting the Filipino and Filipina community.
- Establish a coalition of participating organizations.
- Advance a “2019 Policy Agenda” for a hopeful Filipino Legislative Advocacy Day in Sacramento, led by LEAD Filipino in April/May 2019.
Please contact Angelica@LEADFilipino.org for more details!