Fly Pinays Mentor & Mentee Dialogues Summer Event
June 17, 2017
Yesterday, as part of our “Leadership” work with Filipina women and girls, we hosted our “Fly Pinays Mentor & Mentee Dialogues” summer event at Google’s Tech Corners Campus in Sunnyvale. The Dialogues event was a follow up to the Fly Pinays Leadership Summit that we held back in March, in honor of Pinayism and Women’s History Month, with over ~100 Filipina professionals (mentors) and college students (mentees) from across the greater Bay Area.
The Dialogues event featured presentations from two of our mentees – Jenna Edra, San Jose State University and Julia Espero, Stanford University – where Jenna shared out on exclusive participant data and information from our Fly Pinays program participants and Julia presented her capstone thesis on the lived experiences of Filipinas in Higher Education.
As part of our Dialogues feature, the attendees engaged in seven 12-minute group rotations where they heard from mentors working in a diverse range of fields. During these small group rotations, they heard from business entrepinayers, Pinay medical practitioners and clinicians and nurses, public agency leaders, and educators from the South Bay. Our mentor small group facilitators included:
- STEM/Tech – Christina Laskowski, STAC-Silicon Valley
- Business Entrepinayship – Alex Bautista & Vanessa Sadueste, Google
- The Arts – Chelsea Sioxson, MAGIC Dance Arts
- Health/Healthcare – Dr. Hazel Benigno, UCSF & Jen Gacutan-Galang, Public Health Dept.
- Education – Ginelyn Doldolea-Kudsi, Davis Intermediate
- Public/Nonprofit Sector – Lenine Umali, Compass Family Services & Maria Javier, City of Fremont
- Legal/Law – Bea Pangilinan, Asian Law Alliance
From conversations on business/economic development in the Philippines, funding your startups, positively impacting public policy, and preserving with your vision despite the setbacks and naysayers. We hope that yesterday’s Dialogues event was both meaningful and purposeful for everyone that was involved and attended.
On behalf of the L.E.A.D Filipino Team, we thank you for allowing us to work alongside and serve the well-being, empowerment and wellness of the Pinays in our South Bay Community.